I am one of those girls that tend to dress in two extremes. The first: jeans or leggings and a t-shirt. The second: dress, flats, and statement jewelry. That can often leave the dilemma of what to wear when you don’t know what to wear. What I mean is there are often times where having a dressed up casual look is needed. Jeans might not be acceptable, but a dress is too formal. Something I have been trying to work on in my own wardrobe is finding pieces that can transition from casual to dressier (think business casual or a night out) with ease.
As a stylist, I have clients often ask me what they should wear to a casual holiday party. So, I have a few tips that I will be sharing with you today.
- Try textures. I think that a good pair of velvet or corduroy pants takes any casual outfit to the next level. Try a lace blouse for a romantic texture that dresses up any casual outfit.
- Play with patterns. Add some fun to your outfit with a pair of tartan plaid pants. Fair Isle sweaters are a favorite of mine this time of year. Pattern mix with leopard print shoes and a plaid top!
- Shine bright. There aren’t many times throughout the year where it’s acceptable to wear a pair of jacquard or metallic pants. Take advantage of the holiday season. Dress up solid pants with sparkly shoes.
- Experiment with a trend. Bell sleeves and ruffles are very popular trends this season. Forego the typical buttondown shirt and reach for a top with an on-trend detail!
- Fancy feet. Dress up a casual look with a fun pair of block heels, or a bejeweled pair of flats!
The holidays are the perfect time to expand your wardrobe, and try something slightly out of your comfort zone! I hope these tips inspire you to dress your best in the upcoming days!